On Thursday, August 19th, the Economic Alliance held its bi-monthly Board & Membership meeting. Attendees received updates from the chairs of each Task Force and were then treated to a great presentation by Captain Brian Penoyer- Commander, Coast Guard Sector Houston-Galveston. Capt. Penoyer detailed the history of the Coast Guard, its mission, and left attendees with a few very salient pieces of wisdom about that history and about our current status as a region.
Did you know?
- The U.S. Coast Guard has been present in every single United States combat theater in history.
- The U.S. Coast Guard is the premiere life-saving institution in the world.
- Our port system on the Gulf Coast (including the Port of Houston) is unique to other port systems (like the Port of Los Angeles) because all of our ports work together for their own common good rather than competing with others along the same coast thanks to our concentration of petrochemical industry. One man’s by-product is another man’s feedstock!
- Galveston Bay is host to:
- 60 freighter / tank ships per day
- 450 – 500 tug / barge vessels
- 350 – 400 ferry trips
- The largest concentration of boats in the entire United States.